Saturday, May 22, 2010

Jamie Yang- TEDxDAR

Ah, poverty. And the business of eradicating it. Jamie Yang hooked me into his talk with this simple observation: The stories that are told about the poor are quite different than the stories that they tell about themselves.

What Jamie does is deal with energy issues, bringing light to the poor. Everything costs more when you are poor- more money, more effort, more strategizing, more diverse little income streams, more ingenuity and opportunism. Jamie works in Social Investment, the strange no-man's land between NGO funding (aka 'free money that make you lazy') and venture capital (Evil Capitalism). I can't say that I understand how it works, exactly, but I will always applaud people who put their thinking caps on to work in poverty alleviation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No biting, spitting, trolling or ugly insults- only pretty ones allowed.

A little birdie told me...

Follow MikocheniReport on Twitter